Tuesday, April 8, 2014

George Zimmerman on the Rock

While out walking / exploring last week, I met Ed who was searching for the original location of a part of Seven Bridges Road. He told me that he had once hiked to the highest hill in Minisink Hills and saw a unique stone formation. Nearby, was a rock with the name George Zimmerman (early settler) carved upon it. Today, I tried to get to the top of that hill...and failed. About 5:30pm I walked up Hillside Drive to Route 209 to the Odd-Lot Outlet because I decided the best way to get up the hill would be to start behind Odd-Lot Outlet where people ride dirtbikes. The approach to the hill was covered with thick brush and steep. After five minutes I hit a steep slope which was very difficult to walk down so I crouched down to an almost-sitting position and kind of slid down. I could see the highest part of the hill but was so winded that I knew I didn't have it in me to make it up there. It was too late in the day to complete the hike and stupidly, I did not bring any water, a flashlight, a whistle, and I didn't tell anyone where I was going. To me, it looks like the stone used to build the nearby railroad crossing over the Broadhead Creek was taken from this hill. Hopefully, one day I will return to this hill and complete the hike and take photos of the rock with George Zimmerman's name carved upon it. George Zimmerman is buried in Laurel Hill Cemetary which is behind St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Minisink Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment