Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Highest point in Minisink Hills, PA

I decided to once again attempt to climb to the highest point in Minisink Hills, PA today. If it was true that early settler, George Zimmerman carved his initials into stone up there, I would find it. I approached the hill from behind the old Schmidling house across the street from where I live. It was a very steep slope to the top and the ground was very slippery so I slipped a lot. I found a thick three foot piece of wood that I used for balance. At the peek I found some names carved into the stones but I can't make out any kind of name and the only carving I was certain of said "56" which I am sure was put there by a hiker in 1956. From the peek I could see across the street from the elementary school, the paper mill, the Delaware Water Gap, the sewage treatment plant and Interstate 80. I think I am correct when I wrote in a previous post that the rock used for the nearby railroad crossing over the Brodhead Creek was taken from this hill.

2 comments:

  1. The man we bought our house from (Art Moeller) said that he had carved his initials somewhere up on the hill as well. Haven't been up that way but will have to check it out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't go alone. It's pretty dangerous. It's such a steep hike and I was scared I would break my leg. I should not have gone alone. Maybe I will chisel my name up there if I get the proper tools. If I were to put my name up there I'd want to do it right. All of the names I saw up there were on flat surfaces which lessens the time they'll last they'll last but hikers don't usually carry hammers and chisels. When I was hiking up there I had to sit down every couple of minutes. It's a heart-thumper for sure but I'd like to go back. In the summer it will be too tough because of the brush. There are a lot of thorns and stickers but I'm proud of myself for accomplishing it. Coming down only took me about 12 minutes.

    ReplyDelete