Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Schmitt's Mountain Resort (now Pierce's Landing)

Schmitt's Mountains Resort existed from as early as 1948 (that's the oldest newspaper ad I found) until the late 1970's. During the 1980's it became a rundown apartment rental complex. It was purchased in the fall of 1994, renamed Pierce's Landing and received a much-needed makeover. These photos are of carvings in a tree behind Pierce's Landing along Gap View Drive. I spotted these carvings a few days ago during my evening walk. I had to  negotiate a very steep slope to get the photos and I'm glad I took the risk. I'm positive that the carvings were made by adolescent guests of Schmitt's who snuck away from their parents in the evening. The other photos are postcards of Schmitt's that I found on the internet. I stuck in a current photo of the pool just for the heck of it.

3 comments:

  1. How deep in the woods is the tree with all the carvings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only 20 feet behind one of the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never seen the carvings on the tree if I was not walking on Gap View Drive. I doubt anyone has seen the carvings since the last one was done. It's not in a location that draws your eye or that anyone would normally look.

    ReplyDelete